Seeing as this might be my last year in NYC, I've decided to document my last year here. It's been a crazy ride. I was only supposed to be here a year, and here I am going into year 3 of living in the city. NYC. A ridiculous place. I get pissed off every day. People push into me, cyclists bike on the sidewalk, children shriek in the subway- the list is endless. But no matter how angry I get, I love this place. This is where I learned what I need to do with my life. This is where I fell in love. This is where I needed to be these past 2 years.
I've been working in school health the entire time I've been here and it's been an amazing experience. Aside from being threatened and being called a student by staff, I love being a part of the public school community. It's odd. I know. Public schools in NYC, especially the Bronx aren't that great. Despite their reputation, high schoolers can be very sweet (if you are on their good side).
The title of my blog is "que."I find that I am constantly questioning people's decisions (especially my student's decisions) or I say "que" to people who say asinine comments. Those of you who know me know that there is often a facial expression to go along with the "que."
I hope to post on here at least three times a week. For now I leave you with my first day of school experience.
The first day back is always tough. It all went downhill after the assisstant principal (who knows me well), patted me on the shoulder and told me to sit down. Sir, que?! He quickly apologized but not before a gaggle of 6th graders witnessed the scene. Excellent. A couple of hours later I bent over to pick up a box and split my pants. Thankfully, it was the inseam. However, the secretary heard and gave me a puzzled and sympathetic look. Wonderful. My day ended with my making my way to Soho for fashion night out (they give away free drinks)! My ankle gave out and I collapsed in the middle of the street. No one helped me. No one asked me if I was ok. I supposed the above events are what caused me to purchase $70 shoes. Those will be returned. Anyway, I think it was a fabulous first day back. Stay tuned for more stories. For now, be glad you're no longer in middle school. That time period sucked.
LOL (lots of love)
No comments:
Post a Comment